Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile 
Series: The Fifth Wave #1
Pages: 480
Received: Borrowed from Christa @More Than Just Magic

Release Date: May 7, 2013
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

My Review:

Oh gosh, this book gave me the chills. After hearing everyone talk about it I had to read it, I was one of those people that bugged Christa with "Have you read it yet? How about now?" Because I kept seeing reviews about it and crying that I didn't have it yet. When I finally got the book in my hands I started it right away. I'm glad that I'm not scared of hyped books anymore (I've had really good luck with them *knocks on wood*)

This book was intense, and yes I know I heard that from a lot of people who had read it before me but I still was not prepared for anything that Rick Yancey wrote. I was shocked at the events that happened, and as I started realizing what was happening for the 5th wave, I didn't want to believe it! Yancey introduces readers into a terrifyingly real world... honestly I could actually see these things happening if there were an alien invasion. The fact that I imagined these things happening, shows that Yancey has an amazing writing style, detailing everything and making it so plausible.

The characters in this book were amazing as well. Readers follow Cassie as she watches her brother leave and then journeys to find and save him from wherever he is. Cassie (short for Cassiopeia .. how awesome is that name) was such a strong character. She fought when she needed to but had this guilt of harming people, it shows that she is human and thinks about her actions. Cassie has a huge heart and that is what really drew me to her character. And Evan, oh how I swoon for him. He kept me guessing about what he wanted and why he did some of the things he did, but he was so adorable.

This book has everything you need in it, romance and action, with some intrigue as to what will happen next. I kept going back and forth on what I thought was actually going on, Yancey really keeps you guessing throughout the book and definitely gives you a ride for your life with this story. These aliens are smart and know what they are doing, they have been watching and waiting for the perfect moment... can you imagine them right now watching us? It's creepy and plausible....

I really think this is one book that needs to be read... prepare yourselves readers, the aliens are coming! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Oh I KNOW, how amazing was this? I really appreciated the world building in this - it definitely felt realistic and that is TERRIFYING! And Cassie was on level with Katniss for me - a very powerful and memorable character! I am also very glad that I'm not scared off by over-hyped books and I feel bad for anyone who is scared off this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading some incredible reviews for this book and I am glad to hear you liked it. I am convinced I'll need to pick it up this summer, but I am afraid it will freak me out. Cassie sounds like an awesome character though. Great review, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, definitly adding to my To Read list. I've been reading too much classic lit. lately; I need something new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It was so good!! And I am totally convinced the aliens are coming

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...