Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books
Series: His Fair Assassin #2
Pages: 385
Received: Borrowed from Christa at More than Just Magic

Release Date: April 2, 2013
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. Naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, the convent views Sybella as one of their most dangerous weapons.

But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father’s rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother’s love is equally monstrous. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

This heart-pounding sequel to Grave Mercy serves betrayal, treachery, and danger in equal measure, bringing readers back to fifteenth century Brittany and will keep them on the edge of their seats.

My Review:

GRAVE MERCY was one of my favourite books last year, so much happened and readers were given a kickass main character, so I was obviously excited for book 2 of this series to come out, and this book did not disappoint at all. I found the story to be interesting, the story takes place at the same time as GRAVE MERCY but it is the weeks following the first events. I liked seeing things from another perspective and following those that are against the princess and seeing what they will do to take control.

What I found was that this book had a lot more action than GRAVE MERCY, a part of me thinks I liked the sequel more than the first book. Sybella was an intriguing character, and I really loved her attitude throughout the story. She has been dealt a crappy hand and readers slowly learn more about what she really had to deal with. I was surprised at some things that were revealed about her at the end of the book. Sybella was my favourite and I'm scared that Annith's story won't be able to compete with Sybella's now. I loved her strength and how she had this one goal that she would do anything to achieve. Sybella also learns a lot about herself in the course of the book, and I loved what she did at the end for those that she loves. I also loved that she questioned what she was doing a lot. I hope in the next book, we learn more about the convent itself because I am starting to have my doubts about their involvement in things.

In this book I felt that Robin took a different turn with Sybella's life. There were a lot of cringe worthy moments and disturbing aspects to this book that really shocked me, but the explanations behind some of these were emotional and in a way understandable (mostly Sybella's relationship with her brother). I really felt bad for Sybella, you can see that she had a horrible childhood that has kept her from becoming too close with anyone. We do get more of Ismae and Duval (which made me very happy, I love seeing more of their relationship after everything they went through in GRAVE MERCY).

This is an amazing action packed series, with some great political intrigue and adorable romance. I think everyone should check it out. The characters are amazing and I love how everything ties together. I am intrigued about how Annith's story with fit in with everything that has happened.

5 comments:

  1. I think I liked this one better than Grave Mercy too but I keep flip flopping. They were both so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good and just what I like! I think I'll pick it up sometime. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Grave Mercy so I can't wait to read this book! I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed it - I love an action packed read and I'm curious about Sybella's childhood.

    A wonderful review Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this! Sybella's story sure sounds interesting. I'm a bit concerned that there are some parts of it that are disturbing though. Concerned for Sybella, that is! I'm really curious now - I hope I can read this sometime soon. And I'm glad Ismae and Duval also make an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gloves definitely came off in this one, but I thought it was great. This series is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...