Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 480
Received: Bought own copy

Release Date: February 1, 2011
Buy From Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My Review:

I honestly can't believe I waited this long to read this book! It is an amazing story, and a nice fast read. Lauren Oliver sucks you in from the very beginning. What I really love is that this is a story that is all about the characters and there is not a lot of action happening in it, but that's what made it amazing. The plot line of the story is also very unique which makes it that much better!

I love reading about the characters growing throughout the novel. Lena begins to understand more and becomes able to make her own decisions. I also enjoy that Lena does not automatically fall for Alex, she tries to fight throughout most of the novel because of what she was taught, and she is such a strong character. I also love her relationship with Hana, it is the epitome of friendships. Two complete opposites that just help each other (Hana definitely brings out the more fun side of Lena).

I fell in love with Alex as soon as he was introduced. He is absolutely swoonworthy that you are just automatically drawn to him. The moment he was introduced I was like "YES, I want him." He is the perfect male lead for a book. There are so many of his lines that I absolutely love, the best one telling Lena when he first saw her running.

Lauren Oliver's writing style is amazing and she knows how to get inside her characters minds (I love being able to feel what the characters feel while reading). Lauren Oliver creates a new and interesting society in DELIRIUM, she introduces everyone and everything around her and does not leave too many questions lingering in the reader's mind. The ending was amazing and definitely brings you back for more!

You may also enjoy:
Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Across The Universe by Beth Revis
Divergent by Veronica Roth

3 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on Alex! Although be warned you may have to fight me for him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on my to-read list as well! Now I am even more excited. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get to it, especially with the second one coming out soon! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...