Monday, January 30, 2012

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Publisher: G. P. Putnam
Pages: 326
Received: Received from Razorbill Program

Release Date: February 7, 2012
Buy From Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word . . . especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

My Review:

This book was absolutely amazing! Right from the beginning I was definitely in love, it's been awhile since I've read a book about witches and this one is the best one. This book was definitely an introduction into the world of Cate and her sisters, Jessica really has you understand what they are going through trying to keep their secret.

I really loved the feel of the sisters interaction throughout the story. Jessica does a great job of bringing to the forefront of what happens to families when the mother dies when the children are at a young age. It is a real feeling of the oldest daughter taking over the motherly role. The interaction between the sisters is definitely real, and helps you connect with everyone. Jessica introduces the characters and really dedicates this book to getting to know everyone and understanding how they work, this is definitely not an action story.

There was a little mystery added to the story as well. It was fun meeting all the characters and feeling like you don't know who to trust throughout. Everyone seems to have their reasons for befriending the sisters, yet you don't know why. Everyone seems to have their own secrets and you just can't tell who is really there to help Cate and her sisters throughout, it definitely makes for an interesting read! I am really interested to see where Jessica takes this in the next book.

The ending of this book also really took me by surprise, I was not expecting what came at all. Jessica sets up the next books in a great way, and I am excited to see what happens next. There were a few parts about the ending that I did not like and I wish that there were a few other things that happened, but I can't go into it without giving away spoilers. This is definitely a book to check out, with the supernatural in the olden times.

7 comments:

  1. Loved the ending of this book! Such a shocker. I can't believe how long we have to wait for the next one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't want to wait another year to find out what happens next!!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I have such high hopes for this book, so I'm really happy to see you liked it. You have me curious about the ending :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweets! :D Holy crap, what a great review!!! This one is, like, right on tip of my reading list and I'm now even more excited to get started! I love witches *_* And it really sounds good the way you described it! I'm not very excited about the long wait for the next part, tho T_T Same with Cinder and, like, a thousand other books.. boohoo!!!

      Delete
  3. ohhhhhhhh I love witches!!! I really wanted to pick this book up because of the cover and premise but your review makes me want it even more!!! Great review :) Now I really want to read it. Luckily I don't have to wait much longer!

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    Tempest and The Eternal One's Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skimmed your review because I haven't read it yet. I received a copy yesterday and I was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you received a copy! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! When I received it I dropped everything just to read it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...