Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 352
Received: Borrowed from library

Release Date: September 21, 2010
Buy From Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

My Review: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

This book had a really interesting concept to it, but sadly I was not taken with how it panned out when written. I really enjoyed that the main character was a male (I don't see that as often, usually it is a couple). And there was no real romantic side to this story (well a little bit, but it was not the most obvious thing).

I found myself straining to finish this story because I found that nothing interesting was happening in the story. It seemed that everything did come out in the end, but it was a hard journey to get there. I went into this story thinking it was going to be a bit of a horror type story but didn't find that.

It was almost half way through the story before Mackie had to face any creatures and they were not what I expected at all. I was thinking there would be more action to it, but there was more trying to talk things out with one another.

The one thing I really did not understand at all about this book is that everyone in the town knew about what was going on. And to add on to that they were very indifferent to what was happening, they went around pretending that nothing was happening.

I did enjoy Mackie and his friends, it was interesting that this story was focused on mostly male characters. I found that there were quite a few humorous parts to the story that did keep me invested in reading it. Many of the characters were like high school boys, very sarcastic and amusing. I just wished that this story had a little more action and horror to it. 

3 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of good things about this one, but it doesn't sound like one that I would really enjoy. I appreciate your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hun *hugs*
    I'm so sorry this book wasn't exactly what you expected it to be. I really enjoyed Brenna's other book (Space Between) - that one was wicked awesome and there was definitely more action. Plus the descriptions were gorgeous! I was contemplating buying The Replacement (since I enjoyed TSB so much), but I think I'll just read it on Kindle, since I have an ecopy of it :)

    Thanks for an honest review <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really loved this book, but I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( I've found that Brenna's writing style can be hit or miss with most YA readers--it's very dark and ethereal compared to what we usually see in the genre.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...