Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Review: Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 310
Received: Extra copy from Christa @Hooked on Books

Release Date: October 1, 2012
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

On one side of the Rift is a technological paradise without famine or want. On the other side is a mystery.

Sixteen-year-old Glenn Morgan has lived next to the Rift her entire life and has no idea of what might be on the other side of it. Glenn's only friend, Kevin, insists the fence holds back a world of monsters and witchcraft, but magic isn't for Glenn. She has enough problems with reality: Glenn's mother disappeared when she was six, and soon after, she lost her scientist father to his all-consuming work on the mysterious Project. Glenn buries herself in her studies and dreams about the day she can escape. But when her father's work leads to his arrest, he gives Glenn a simple metal bracelet that will send Glenn and Kevin on the run---with only one place to go.

With MAGISTERIUM, Jeff Hirsch brings us the story of a complex, captivating world that will leave readers breathless until the very last page.

My Review:

This book had me really interested from the creepy cover to the synopsis keeping everything very mysterious (I have been finding lately that the synopsis have been giving away too many things in books lately). I really enjoyed this world that Hirsch brings to life in MAGISTERIUM, Glenn has grown up believing that on the other side of the Rift is nothing and she is in for a big surprise when she realizes what is really there.

I really liked the character of Glenn, she has a great head on her shoulders and she is always thinking about her future and yet looking out for her dad. What really interested me was how Glenn viewed the world, she looked at everything in scientific terms and tried to keep her feelings at bay as much as possible  I understood why Glenn hid behind science, after her mother left it was easier for her to put all her energy into something that always has answers.

Glenn's friend Kevin always seemed to make the scenes he was in so much more fun. He had a great sense of humour and you could see that he really cared for Glenn. The romance aspect of this book was far in the background of everything else that was happening, which I really enjoyed. Though there were a few adorable moments between Glenn and Kevin it wasn't what the story was about. There was so much more to the story with this mysterious world on the other side of the Rift and learning all the secrets of the world.

The one issue I did have with this book was that I could tell what was going to happen pretty early on. Some of the bigger twists were not all that surprising to me because I guessed that it was going to happen. I like books that surprise me and always feel a little let down when I know what will happen (even though I do have fun taking the adventure with the characters).

The most interesting part of this book for me was to see the fight of science versus magic. It's hard for Glenn to grasp the concept of a world with magic because she sees everything as black and white. This is what really interested me about the book in the first place and I think Hirsch did a great job bringing these two opposite ideas together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...