Friday, October 23, 2015

Review: Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Pages: 336
Received: Received a copy from the publisher through Netgalley

Release Date: September 1, 2015
Buy From Chapters.ca / Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Revenge is worth its weight in gold.

When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, eighteen-year-old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers—and justice. What she finds are untrustworthy strangers, endless dust and heat, and a surprising band of allies, among them a young Apache girl and a pair of stubborn brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, a startling truth becomes clear: some men will stop at nothing to get their hands on gold, and Kate’s quest for revenge may prove fatal.

My Review:

Okay, so I truly do not know what to say about this book. I have been trying to think about it, and it's been some time since I have finished it but it was such a weird story and I don't really know if I would truly classify this as a teen book, it felt a little more adult to me. This book is very much a western story and that is what kind of drew me in, I've never really read something like this before.

Kate is on a journey of revenge for her father's death, but to be taken seriously she must disguise herself as a male. As Kate travels along on her path, she meets some people who may be the ones to help her finish the job she needs. But as the journey continues, many secrets are revealed that show Kate she knows a lot less about her father than she thought and as the story continues readers begin to wonder what other things could be hidden.

There were times while I was reading this that I was very interested in the story and Kate's background. When it came out that her father was hiding things about his past, I really wanted to get to the bottom of all that. Though at times, I also felt like at times events were overdone (but definitely what I can see from a western story). I did love Kate's personality, it is not often that readers can find a western with such a strong female lead. She is very independent and tough, and more often would rather just get things done on her own. Kate is definitely someone to really admire, all she cares about is getting justice for those she loves, nothing else matters and I love that about her.

And then there is Jesse, oh how I loved Jesse's character. The way him and Kate interact brings a comic relief during a lot of rough times in this book. Jesse is a lot like Kate in many ways, he is very tough and independent, but his mission is to keep his family safe and to bring money to keep them going. Their interactions show how alike these two are, they are both stubborn and refuse to give in to the other, they both want to do things their own way.

Honestly, I'm glad that I tried out this western, I don't believe that these types of stories will be high on my radar, I did enjoy this one quite a bit. I just felt that at times it was a lot darker than I was expecting it to be. I can see many people enjoying this type of book, and as much as I enjoyed parts of it, I felt like I had to push myself to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...