Monday, February 25, 2013

Review: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Publisher: Harper Collins Children`s Books
Series: The Body Finder #1
Pages: 327
Received: Borrowed from the library

Release Date: March 16, 2010
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.

My Review:

Wow, was this book ever emotionally charged. I had seen a few things about Derting's body finder series when the third book came out a little while ago but never really checked it out because it was so far along, and I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed in myself for not looking into it more earlier. Just reading the synopsis hooked me into the book, I love that Violet has this huge secret, and it was interesting to read about how something like this affected a person. I mean I don't think I would be able to handle stumbling across dead bodies all the time, that would disturb me to say the least!

I love that this book is a psychological thriller, there is a serial killer on the loose in Violet's small town and she has been the one to find the victims. The way Violet has dealt with her ability over the years was because she has so many people that rally around her. Family is such a strong presence in this book, I loved how Violet always went to her family in times of trouble, and not just her parents but her uncle was always there for her as well. What really kept me going were all the emotions going on in this book.

I loved how effortlessly Derting could jump from this heated emotional exchange between Violet and Jay, to something so creepy as finding a dead body. I found the story was fluid and did not feel jumpy, the writing was absolutely amazing, really making you feel happy one moment and then creeped out in the next sentence.  I could never figure out what was coming next, and I was pleasantly surprised at the turn of events in the book.

The romance in this book was beautifully done as well. These are two best friends who have spent years together and begin to realize they have feelings for one another. I really enjoy hoe Derting played out the romance with Violet and Jay. Because these two were friends they really try to deny their feelings, scared that it will ruin their friendship. This is a relationship that you really root for throughout everything because they are adorable and they really know each other. Jay is the only one outside of Violet's family that knows what she can do, and he's always there to watch out and keep her safe.

I absolutely loved every minute of this book, finding myself engrossed in the mystery as well as the romance, and I am so excited to continue this series. I definitely plan on going out and buying all of the books for this one!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked The Body Finder. I love this book and adore the characters of Jay and Violet. Their relationship is one of my favorites. I thought Derting did a good job with the varying point of view as well. I still need to read book three. Great review, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...