Friday, November 20, 2015

Review: 99 Days by Katie Cotugno

Publisher: Blazer & Bray
Pages: 384
Received: Received a copy from the publisher through Edelweiss

Release Date: April 21, 2015
Buy From Chapters.ca / Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.

My Review:

OH MY GOD! What in the world did I just do to myself?!?!?!?! This book kind of killed me, I absolutely loved this story and I was so enthralled, but thinking about it, I really don't understand why I loved it so much. This is such a horrible plot and I mean who actually does something like this? But the writing truly pulled me in and I was hooked from the beginning. I wanted to throw the book against a wall (but it was my e-reader so that would have ended badly for me) and yet I felt like it was a train wreck happening and I just couldn't turn away.

Honestly, I flew through this book, I could not stop reading. As the days of the summer continued on, I wanted to know what else Julia would end up getting into. All Julia wants to do is get through her summer with no problems and then be off to university in the fall, but readers quickly see that you can't outrun or even hide from your past, it will always come back to find you.

Julia has ruined her friendships with some of the greatest people and she ran away when everything exploded on her. Now that she is back for the summer after a year away, she has to deal with the fallout from everything, Julia has to work at her friendships again. The problem I had with this book is that Julia gets herself into more trouble when she is back, first she attempts to hide away and then when she actually takes herself out into society, she starts having a good time, until things go wrong.

The one thing I will say is that Katie Cotugno's writing style just draws you in and it's hard to not keep reading because you want things to turn out for the best. This book does truly show that not everyone is perfect and as a teenager Julia is still learning about herself and where she fits in the world. As much as I loved this book though, the ending truly upset me, I understand it shows that who you are in high school does not determine the rest of your life, but so much was still left unsaid.

This book had its ups and downs but I did absolutely love everything, Katie brought me a beautiful story. And I loved how it was written, each chapter is another day of the summer, some are shorter and some are longer, and it's so easy to keep going, just a couple more chapters, until before you realize the book is done and you are longing for more.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny how books can do that sometimes? Make you love them for no apparent reason at all? Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...