Thursday, October 17, 2013

Review: The Storycatcher by Ann Hite

Publisher: Gallery Books
Pages: 352
Received: Received a copy from the publisher through Edelweiss

Release Date: September 10, 2013
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Shelly Parker never much liked Faith Dobbins, the uppity way that girl bossed her around. But they had more in common than she knew. Shelly tried to ignore the haints that warned her Faith’s tyrannical father, Pastor Dobbins, was a devil in disguise. But when Faith started acting strange, Shelly couldn’t avoid the past—not anymore.

Critically acclaimed, award-winning author Ann Hite beckons readers back to the Depression-era South, from the saltwater marshes of Georgia’s coast to the whispering winds of North Carolina’s mystical Black Mountain, in a mesmerizing gothic tale about the dark family secrets that come back to haunt us.

My Review:

So when I finally got around to reading this book I completely forgot what the synopsis was and just knew there was something about it that interested me. I really enjoyed the era that this story takes place in and the story was definitely intriguing but it was very slow-going for me. This is a story about learning the family secrets and how those secrets can come back to haunt you.

The one big thing about this book that made it difficult to read for me was the many different characters, there are a lot of different people that have a purpose to this book but I found myself getting confused at how they were all connected in the beginning. There are a lot of haints (ghosts) flying around trying to help unravel the mystery of the Dobbins family secret to help this family from becoming hurt even more.

Though despite how much I was confused I was intrigued with the mystery of this book and what happened to these people that their ghosts are still hanging around. I can definitely say this story was very dark and at some point you don't really want to put the book down because you want to know what is going to happen to everyone.

Even though I found it difficult to follow the many different characters I also found that it added to the build up of the story as the secret slowly begins to unravel and danger starts seeking out certain characters. I think Ann Hite did a beautiful job building the story and having you understand what the characters have gone through, she helps you connect with them. The ending keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering if and what could go wrong.

A lot of the things that are revealed at the end are completely shocking and in my mind changed the whole story. This was definitely an interesting story despite a few hiccups along the way.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...