Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Publisher: Greenwillow
Pages: 424
Received: Borrowed from Library

Release Date: September 20, 2011
Buy From Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.
Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.

My Review:

When I picked up this book I had only heard a few things about it, and they were all really good things. And with me getting into the dystopian novels lately I thought this one sounded like a good one to add to the list. I'm glad I did!

The one thing that I really loved about this book was the main character of Elisa. This is a main character that I find a lot of people can relate to more so compared to other girls. Elisa is described as a larger girl and not very pretty. What really got me with this book was that Elisa is not perfect, though she is the chosen one, she has to grow into her destiny. She has a lot of issues believing in herself, and she slowly comes to terms with things and comes to understand herself more.

There was one thing that made me nervous when I started reading this book and that was the religious aspect of the story. There was a very large religious aspect (with Elisa being the chosen one to have the "Godstone"). I have to say when I was done with this book I was really impressed with how Rae wrote this aspect in. It was not overdone or pushy, which is sometimes difficult.

It was interesting to have a main character that is not confident in herself. I liked being able to travel with Elisa and watch her come to terms with being the "Chosen One" and slowly gain confidence in what she must do (which no one actually knows until she finds out herself).

This book definitely had a good amount of action through it, but also had a bit of a political aspect to it as well, with the king making decisions for his country. What I really enjoyed is that this book did not end with a huge cliffhanger. How this book ends is that this part of Elisa's journey ends and a new one will begin in the next book.

I was very surprised with this book, and I'm really glad I picked it up, it is an interesting book with some very interesting twists throughout. It is also a great book to show that anyone can overcome issues and gain self-confidence. I definitely recommend this book to readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...